top of page


Fire fighters had to battle the blaze caused by excessive body-fat clogging the air filters.

A crematorium went up in flames the other day when the rather-obese woman set to be cremated was too large and had more body-fat than usual ended up clogging the air vents, causing falmes, black smoke and soot to pour out of the building.

The Province writes:

A Graz Austria crematorium caught on fire this week. The unusual part of this whole bazaar incident is that they were cremating a 200 kg body that caused the fire. Usually there’s not enough fat on a body to cause such a fire but this one was extremely fat and started the place on fire billowing black smoke from the building. Graz firefighters rushed to the scene, where they were confronted by thick black smoke which, in the words of the Daily Mail, left them “covered with a layer of sooty grease”. See picture above. It’s the same principal as on a  BBQ when the fat drips off the chicken or meat and flares up. They eventually knocked the fire down by aiming water through the vents which are used to clear the filters of the cremation oven. This is not an uncommon occurrence as its happened in Germany and Switzerland before but now they have a weight limit. Graz likely will also instigate this weight limit in the crematorium.
1 view0 comments


bottom of page